About Employment Works Program
The Employment Works Program strives to create quality employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities, while providing the State of Maryland with high quality services and commodities.
Maryland Works, Inc., is designated to coordinate contracting activity between the State of Maryland, Community Service Providers, and Individuals with Disability Owned Businesses. This is in accordance with the State Finance and Procurement Article, Sections 14-101 through 14-108 of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
Community Service Providers and Disability-Owned Businesses
For all potential preference purchase contracts, before initializing the open bid process, a State agency purchaser must first check to see if suitable supplies or services are available for procurement from the following agencies before initiating the open-bid process.
- Any department or agency of the State;
- Maryland Correctional Enterprises (MCE);
- Blind Industries and Services of Maryland (BISM); and
- The Employment Works Program (EWP)
Maryland Works is the coordinating entity for the Employment Works Program. In coordinating this process, The Employment Works Program:
- Identifies potential state contracts;
- Assesses individual community service providers' capabilities;
- Conducts cost analyses which are submitted to the Pricing and Selection Committee for the Employment Works Programs; and
- Serves as a monitoring agent to ensure that high-quality standards are maintained.